Approaching my 55th Birthday, I realized that my weight was increasing, my cholesterol numbers were getting high, and my clothes weren't fitting comfortably; I desired to be a healthy senior for myself and for my family.
My brother, Todd, had lost 60 lbs. with Weight Watchers and is a WW leader.
I gathered information from Todd and my sister Kim (WW member.).
I visited a couple of different WW meetings and chose one close to home with a leader I enjoyed.
I made a commitment to attend every meeting.
I religiously wrote down what I ate every day for 1.5 years.I weigh and measure food/drinks.
I researched different food ingredients/nutrition information. I found healthy alternatives for foods that I liked. (Ex.: Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches for dessert and low fat popcorn for snacks.)
Weight Watchers has changed my life in a variety of ways:
1. I have examined the reasons I eat and am aware of the relationship I had with food to fill me emotionally; I only eat when I’m hungry.
2. I have lost more than 30 lbs. along with 4 dress sizes.
3. My total cholesterol have been significantly reduced: 2007 = 206, 2008 = 186, 2009 = 177.
4. I have much more energy and stamina.
1. I only weigh myself once a week; same time and same amount of clothing.
2. I do not add points when I exercise.
3. I write down the points on packaging like jars or frozen dinners.
4. I travel with healthy snacks.
5. I eat when I'm hungry; I nibble all day long.
6. I use my 2 tsp. of oil and balsamic vinegar on my salads every night.
7. I exercise at least 3 times a week (Curves For Women.)
8. If going to a restaurant, I go online to see their menu and read the nutritional information.
9. Dottie’s Weight Loss Zone: www.dwlz.com for restaurant menu/points.
10. I had family and friends who supported and encouraged me in my journey of health!
Webster defines the word “diet” as “habitual nourishment.”
I believe that this “diet” is a lifestyle for the rest of my life, providing my body with “habitual nourishment.”



Welcome to the world of blogging, loved your first one and congratulations on your 2 year anniversary! You're the best lookin Gramma around! ;)
ReplyDeleteI must admit when you told me that you had joined WW to loose weight I had to chuckle a bit. I had always known you as person who managed her weight, exercised and really were a "thin" person. When I saw your picture I realized there was a "before" (lol")!
ReplyDeleteI have discovered that you must be concerned about the 5-10 lbs so that it doesn't turn into to 190! (amost there). I love that you have paid attention to what you are thinking, how willing you were to take action and love yourself in a deeper way.
So Congratulations my friend! Love you, Lin